Most of us like to start the fresh morning with a cup of hot coffee. What if I tell you to imagine you are wearing a dress which is made using the leftover coffee grounds from your morning coffee? Fascinating, isn’t it? Yes, it’s already proven. it is called coffee grounds into sustainable clothing.
COFFEE GROUNDS INTO SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING
In today’s world, the textile industry has been implementing new technologies that are both innovative and sustainable. there’s another point to be considered. The majority of the resources used by the textile industry are in limited supply and the increasing demand for them can be harmful. That’s why we need to grow awareness. Fabrics made from coffee grounds can be a vital example of sustainable textile innovation.
Procedure of fabric from COFFEE GROUNDS INTO SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING
Now let’s discuss the production procedure of fabric from coffee grounds. We know in order to produce fabrics we need to produce the yarn first. S. Cafe is the yarn made from coffee grounds which was created by Taiwanese textile company, ‘Singtex’. S Cafe is a prime example of one of the leading textile innovations. It’s made from a combination of used coffee grounds and polyester or Nylon.
The production procedure of S.Cafe yarn:
1. The coffee beans need to be roasted in 160-220 degree centigrade.
2. Huge quantities of coffee grounds are created by our daily coffee drinking. Coffee grounds are cleaned to extract the oils and then ground down to a nanoscale. The oil extracted can be used in cosmetics
3. Then the patented processed grounds need to be combined with recycled nylon or polyester to create master batches.
4. The S.Cafe yarn and the resulting fabric is comprised of about 5% upcycled coffee grounds and 95% recycled Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET). We can estimate that a piece of clothing made uses the grounds of about three cups of coffee and five PET bottles. When the yarn production is completed the S. Cafe performance benefits appear.
Some Permanent qualities of S Cafe yarn are discussed below :
1. Anti Odor Capability: bacteria on the human body continuously produces many kinds of odors. When these odor particles pass through coffee grounds, they will be sucked into the pores. Comparing to cotton, S cafe provides 3 times more odor control.
2. UV Protection: skin illness is generally caused by UV rays. But S cafe refracts these harmful radiations compared to cotton. It provides 5 times better UV protection.
3. Fast Drying: S Cafe fibers unsmooth surface means water spreads easily. Therefore, the contact area with air increases. It has 50% more drying efficiency compared to other commonly used fabrics.
4. Ice cool Touch: S. Cafe can be able to cool down the temperature of our skin about 1 to 2 degree compared to common fabrics.
This S cafe yarn has been attractive to companies who are looking to make products differently. American Eagle, a renowned company introduced us to DENIM made from coffee grounds. They have claimed that ” You can wash these jeans less often because they are made from coffee grounds”. COFFEE GROUNDS INTO SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING.
In 2009, an activewear brand, VIRUS, came out with a ” coffee charcoal” collection of heat-retaining leggings, tops, and skullcaps made from coffee grounds. The list of S Cafe clients is long, including sustainable yoga and activewear company RUMI X, AMERICAN EAGLE, TIMBERLAND, and THE NORTH FACE. COFFEE GROUNDS INTO SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING.
One of the most attractive uses of this yarn is the EVOLUTION HOODIE. An apparel company named COALATREE has made hoodies using recycled coffee grounds. They have claimed it as the most sustainable, functional, and versatile hoodie with 20+ features for travel and adventure.
Since its launch in 2009, SINGTEX has developed a wide range of products made from S Cafe, such as underwear, bedding, and even footwear.
Isn’t it feel amazing that we are wearing a product made from used coffee grounds and recycled plastic bottles! The international collaboration is ongoing within the fashion sector.
The fabric can already be found in a number of products from leading fashion companies such as TIMBERLAND, AMERICAN EAGLE, NORTH FACE, and PUMA.
Now the main challenge is spreading the fabric globally and ensuring more apparel brands incorporate it into their collections. THANKS FOR READING THIS WITH PATIENCE
- Best Embroidery pattern Embroidery designs full Slide (ppt)
- A Details information about Glass fiber, Types of glass fiber, Use of glass fiber
- Electronic Textiles Or E-Textiles Full Slide (ppt)
- A SWOT Based Study For The Improvement Of Textile Industry with Slide (ppt)
- Best Sewing Machine Needles, Needle size & types full Slide (ppt)
- Alternative Methods of Fabric Joining or Fabric Bonding
- Sewing Faults With Causes and Remedies slide (ppt)
- Work aids extra sewing machine parts full Slide (ppt)
- stitch clothing definition objective types (Full PDF)
- Study On Different Types of seam stitches (slide)
- Sewing Technology Full slide (ppt)
- Interlining fabric with details slide (pptx)
- Dobby Shedding & full dobby shedding mechanism ppt Slide
- Best Apparel manufacturing or Garments Manufacturing Flowchart 28 slide (ppt)
- Introduction to Apparel Quality Control & garments quality control 20 slide(ppt)